Gender Data Impact: Call for Stories
Despite increased awareness of the importance of gender data, concrete examples of gender data leading to impact – on legislation, government programs or policies, practices/behaviors, or perceptions/attitudes – are not easy to find.
Data2X, in partnership with Open Data Watch and Devex, is working to identify these stories and amplify them, so that statisticians, data scientists, gender equality advocates, citizens, and policymakers have the examples they need to advocate for closing gender data gaps and using complete data to improve policy.
- Call for stories open: Monday, January 8, 2018
- Information sessions: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 & Thursday, February 15, 2018. Two phone calls will be held to address questions of applicants. Applicants will be invited to submit questions online in advance. Call details will be shared on the Data2X and Open Data Watch websites and social media channels prior to the calls.
- Submission deadline: Thursday, March 8, 2018
- Request for more information from select submissions: February & March 2018
- Stories launched: Throughout 2018, as part of a #GenderDataImpact Devex content campaign and on Data2X and Open Data Watch websites, and at high level moments throughout the year. Stories will also be shared at the 2018 World Data Forum (see below).
As a first step, we are requesting brief information about the Gender Data Impact Story, including data source, type of impact, and how to verify that that impact occurred. We will review these submissions, and will reach out to request more information from those submissions that we believe hold the greatest promise of demonstrating the link between gender data and impact.
WHY PARTICIPATE? BECAUSE…
- We’ll share selected stories at upcoming high-level events including the 2018 UN World Data Forum. A sub-set of winners will be invited to share their stories at the World Data Forum.
- We’ll highlight selected stories on Devex’s website, and will pitch and place stories with our network of journalists.
- We’ll publicly promote all successful stories, and the teams behind them, through a full-spectrum communications push, including coverage on all partner websites, social media, and amplification across the data community, the global development community, and beyond.
- We’ll document your story with your help, and will house it in a story bank that will be accessible to everyone across the data, gender, and development communities. This way, we will all have access to positive stories about data leading to change for women and girls.
- Your story will be used to motivate decision-makers to use gender data to improve women and girls’ lives, and will highlight the importance of investing in gender data.
What makes a good Gender Data Impact story? Read on >
Ready to submit? Please use this Submission Form to share your Gender Data Impact story.